Maxthon 3 - FAQ
There are many questions asked frequently by Maxthon users. Here you can find your answers for common problems and questions about Maxthon 3. If you can't, feel free to ask on Maxthon forum.
- 1 Version
- 2 Interface and display
- 2.1 Hiding and showing your favorites bar
- 2.2 How to change your browser skin
- 2.3 How can I hide the status bar at the bottom?
- 2.4 Can I change the location of the tab bar?
- 2.5 Where can I find the View menu?
- 2.6 How can I change the language of my browser?
- 2.7 Are translation/language packs available?
- 2.8 How to translate a website or a part of it
- 3 Web browsing
- 4 Features
- 4.1 How to sync your favorites online
- 4.2 How to edit your favorites
- 4.3 How to manage your history
- 4.4 How can I download movies/videos?
- 4.5 How can I import all my settings from Maxthon 2?
- 4.6 How can I delete all my browser history?
- 4.7 How can I enable/disable the URL auto-complete feature?
- 4.8 How to create a private browsing session
- 5 Technical
What is Maxthon 3?
Maxthon 3 is the newest member of the Maxthon family on PC. Maxthon 3 has Dual Display Engines, two website rendering states that cover the whole web in two modes: Ultra and Retro. Ultra, which uses Webkit, makes surfing faster for newer, more current websites built to newer standards. Retro, which uses Trident, handles old, outdated and Microsoft IE optimized sites.
Why Dual Display Engines?
Maxthon 3 has two modes (two different rendering engines), so they can display any kind of pages, no matter it is built using newer standards or it was built by older standards and its rendering would not be perfect. These two engines cover old and new pages to ensure you can watch them without any problem.
What is Webkit?
WebKit is a browser rendering engine. Maxthon's Ultra mode uses this for displaying web pages. This engine is useb by Apple and Google as well but Maxthon customizes it for its browser. You can get more details in the Webkit article on Wikipedia.
Do I have to uninstall Maxthon 2 if I want to use Maxthon 3?
No, you can still use Maxthon 2. Maxthon 3 is not an upgrade of it but a totally separate version.
Where is the Maxthon 3 Changelog?
How to get the latest version?
Interface and display
Hiding and showing your favorites bar
Here are some ways you can hide/show the favorites bar:
- The easiest way is to use the Ctrl+B shortcut key.
- Go to Menu > Customize UI and there uncheck the Favorites Bar checkbox.
- To hide the favorites bar you can also use the menu at the left on the favorites bar where you can find the Hide Favorites Bar option.
How to change your browser skin
One way is to go to Menu > Skins. The appearing window is the Maxthon Skin Center. Here you just need to choose a skin and click Done.
The other way you can reach this dialog is the shirt button at the right end of the tab bar.
You also can download skins from http://skin.maxthon.com/. You just need to select Apply on the skin when you chose the one you need. After the skin is downloaded you will be asked if you want to apply the skin or you will switch later.
Currently there is no option in the browser for hiding the status bar but it can be done by using skins.
Can I change the location of the tab bar?
The browser currently doesn't support this change with an option, but you can try one of the built-in skins, named Tab on Bottom (MX Classic) which actually does what its name says, moves the tab bar to the bottom of the window. You If this is not what you want, please check our Skin Center for other skins. For changing skins, see the How to change your browser skin section.
There is no View menu as in Maxthon 2. Instead it has a Customize UI dialog where you can change the appearance of your browser.
How can I change the language of my browser?
You can change it via the Menu. Go to Menu (at top left) > Languages and select the language you want.
The browser sets its default language based on the language of the OS. Also you can find translations on http://translate.maxthon.com/. The downloaded language file needs to be copied to the Languages folder inside your Maxthon browser install folder.
Are translation/language packs available?
No, there are no language packs for Maxthon 3. Only language files are available, and you can find a description of them in the previous section.
How to translate a website or a part of it
In case you want just a part of a page to be translated, select the text to translate but now choose the Translate Selected Text from the Translate menu.
How to set your homepage
You have two different options to do this:
- Navigate to Menu > Options > General tab. You will find a Homepage section there. Just type the URL of the homepage you want to use and click somewhere outside of the homepage textfield on the page to get it saved.
- If you are currently on the page you want to set as your homepage, right click on the homepage button on the navigation toolbar and select Set as Home Page from its context menu.
How to set Maxthon 3 as your default browser
This can be done when you are installing Maxthon. From the listed options, leave the Set as default browser checkbox ticked.
Or you can set the browser as default by navigating to Menu > Options > General tab, and ticking the Keep Maxthon as Default Browser option.
How to customize Mouse Gesture gestures
How to sync your favorites online
For details please see the Data synchronization wiki page. That article contains how to sync not just your favorites but other kind of data too.
How to edit your favorites
You can find more details on the Favorites management page.
How to manage your history
For details how you can view and erase your browser history, or how to search among them, please refer to the History management wiki page.
How can I download movies/videos?
You can find a good explanation on Maxthon forum about downloading videos.
How can I import all my settings from Maxthon 2?
Just follow these steps:
- Open the menu at top left
- Select Import/Export User Data
- In that dialog choose Import User Data
- From the appearing browser list, select Maxthon 2.x
- Then you need to select which account you use in Maxthon 2 and what data you want to import.
- Click on Import and that's it.
To import favorites from other browsers, just follow the steps above but instead of choosing Maxthon 2 as browser, choose another one.
How can I delete all my browser history?
The easiest way is to go to the Menu at top left and select the Clear Browser History option there. Clear Browser History and Clear Download History boxes are already checked. Click on Clear Now and you are done.
How can I enable/disable the URL auto-complete feature?
Go to the Menu at top left, select Options. There choose the Smart Address Bar tab and tick or untick the Enable URL Auto-Complete option.
How to create a private browsing session
This feature is called Private Window in Maxthon 3. You can open a new private window by navigating into the menu and selecting the New Private Window option.
Flash plugins and Maxthon 3
The browser always comes with the latest stable Flash Player release.
Which operating systems Maxthon 3 can run on?
Maxthon 3 can be ran on the latest operating systems, Windows XP, Windows 7 and 8 too.
Maxthon 3 has more than one processes running. Why?
This is normal. Maxthon 3 uses more processes to separate different parts of the browser like Webkit and Trident engine, main framework and resource management. This way if one part of the browser crashes, then just that part crashes and not the whole browser.